Thursday, September 3, 2009

Hurt Feelings...

There were two stories, back to back, by "Autumn" Sandeen, a leading gender fascist, on Pam's House Blend. The first complained because a reporter in Washington, D.C. referred to the latest "trans martyr," Tyli'a "NaNa Boo" Mack, as a "transgender male." Nevermind that this was an accurate label. Mack was, as best can be determined, still physically a male. I could see Mr. Sandeen having a bit more of a point if Mack was referred to as a "transgender man," but that was not the case. Mr. Sandeen quotes Brian Watson, the director of Transgender Health Empowerment:


“I know both of the young ladies that were attacked, and they lived their lives
as transgender women. They looked like women. For me, there shouldn’t have been
any confusion about them being males. If you saw them on the street, you would
see they were females.”

I'm sorry, I don't care how they "appeared." If they had penises, they are still males. Changing clothes, putting on make-up, and changing your name does not change your sex.

Now, I am sorry that Mack was murdered, but Mack was not a female in any sense of the word.

The second story, which totally illustrates the silliness of the transgender movement, concerns MTV's America's Best Dance Crew, some group called Vogue Evolution, one of the judges, Lil Mama, and what Mr. Sandeen inaccurately refers to as "the female dancer in this crew -- Leiomy -."
Leiomy is, like Mack, not remotely female. To be honest, Leiomy comes off more as a drag queen than anything else. The comment made by Lil Mama was directed at Leiomy's rather dramatic hissy fit that was filmed during a rehearsal:


"Leiomy, your behavior. Come on. It's unacceptable. I just feel that you always have to remember your truth. You were born a man, and you are becoming a woman. If you're going to become a woman, act like a lady. Don't be a bird, like "oh my god, I'm not doing this." You know what I'm saying, it gets too crazy, and it gets confusing. You're doing this for America. Even though you're the face for transgenders, you're the face for America right now with this group, and it's not about anybody else, it's about y'all. So do it for the team."

Mr. Sandeen takes great offense at the "becoming a woman" remark, claiming that Leiomy is a woman. Not even close. The part about "don't be a bird" refers to the caricature of female behavior that Leiomy enaged in. I seriously doubt Leiomy is remotely transsexual, and it is very unlikely that said person is anything more than a drag queen or a crossdresser. The whole act comes across more as part of the ballroom scene.

In a bizarre twist. Mr. Sandeen asks how people would react if Lil Momma had made a similar remark about a gay dancer. Funny, I thought the mantra of the transgender movement is that sexual orientation and "gender identity" are two different things.

I do have to note that the movement to educate the gender fascists is having an effect. In the comments, Mr. Sandeen does make this remark"


...I do identify, from a very personal idenitification that describes my identity most closely, as a transsexual.

From a sociopolitical perspective though, I definitely identify as transgender -- I identify under the umbrella term. Not every transsexual identifies under the umbrella term, but I'm one who does specifically because of the broader civil rights persective of to provide protections for gender variance from societal norms, gender identity, and gender expression.

And too, I embrace diversity. Identifying myself as transgender is a way of saying that even though I don't identify by every term under the transgender umbrella, I do embrace the wide diversity of gender experience people have beyond the binary of male and female. And, I want to associate myslef with that diversity of human gender experience.

Now, as has been pointed out before, Mr. Sandeen seems to have suddenly decided he is "really" a transsexual after being an avowed non-op. This is not unusual, and it often indicates that the person thinks they can gain more credibility by claiming to be surgery tracked.

But, it is interesting to note that Mr. Sandeen, who banned me from Pam's House Blend because I pressured him to publicly disavow his insistence that transsexuals have to be transgender, now seems to admit that people do have the right to not identify that way. And more to the point, he seems to finally admit that transgender is an artificial social/political construct as I have pointed out for years.


His remark is not perfect. He still contradicts himself by referring to the "umbrella," but he seems to be finally admitting that "transgender" is not an objective concept, but is instead very subjective, representing identity and not fact.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know what they say.
If you are going to play Your going to have to pay.

I could never understand where they got the idea they has license to act out.